Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Never Finisihed



Never Finisihed

My husband Ron copies out inspiring quotations about construction and architecture and hangs them in the new bedroom addition we have been building for several years. 

Never "finisihed" indeed!  Ron's accidental mis-copying of this Frank Lloyd Wright quotation about the "organic" house also describes our lives - not perfect, never done.  We decided to leave it as is, although imperfect, just to keep us humble.  Good reminder in Lent – neither the room, nor this organic person will ever be “finisihed.”  I've never been crazy about the phrase "God's not done with me yet," but I think I get it now.

Below it hangs a seascape by our dear friend Ric Masten.  Without Ric's friendship and support Ron would not have found this land near Ric in Big Sur in 1969, nor built the house (still building!) with construction help and encouragement from Ric and other generous neighbors. 

Ric was best known as a Unitarian Universalist minister troubadour poet. His song “Let It Be a Dance” is in the UU Hymnal.  In his last years (he died 10 years ago this spring) he shared publicly and bravely his journey living with cancer. In his last (of many) book of poems, “Going Out Dancing” is one called “Loneliness.”

It reminds me we are all “unfinisihed.”  So is our world, every changing, ever new, ever “imperfect.”    Here’s the poem.  I tried to excerpt just the part about the ocean, since I really am trying to write something as I do each week about our Blue Theology ministry supporting ocean stewardship and spirituality. 

But I can’t.  Just read the whole thing down to the part about standing on the beach alone.  And remember, “nothing is forever, we are born to die, so may I say I love you, before I say good-bye”

Loneliness
by Ric Masten

standing by a highway
waiting for a ride
a bitter wind is blowing
keeps you cold inside
a line of cars is passing
no one seems to care
you look down at your body
to be sure you are there

sitting in a hotel
staring at the wall
with cracks across the ceiling
and silence in the halls
you open up the window
and turn the TV on
then you go down to the lobby
but everybody's gone

and this is loneliness
the kind that I have known
if you've had times like these
my friend
you're not alone

so you leave the empty city
and go down to the shore
you're aching to discover
what you're looking for
the beaches are deserted
in the morning time
a solitary figure you walk
the water line

come upon a tide-pool
and stand there peering in
and when you touch the water
the circles do begin
they lead to where a seabird
lies crumpled on the sand
so you take a single pebble
and hold it in your hand

and this is loneliness
another kind I¹ve known
if you've had times like these
my friend...
you're not alone

you come back up the beaches
at the end of day
and see how all
your footprints
have been washed away
no... nothing is forever
we are born to die
so may I say I love you
before I say good-bye

I must say I love you
before I say good-bye

_____________
Visit bluetheology.com to learn about our humble, imperfect service trips and pilgrimages to Monterey Bay at the Christian Church of Pacific Grove.  I post about our ministry every Wednesday.  Join our Blue Theology Mission Station FB page to get a notice each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment